Sunday, June 24, 2007

The View

CHICAGO, CHICAGO!

My mother was in town this weekend and Sat. night we had drinks on the 96th floor of the John Hancock Building, known as the "Signature Lounge". You can see the entire city. Its the most beautiful view I've ever seen.

I've previously been to the top of the John Hancock (both Bos and Chi I believe) and the Sears Tower. But those were all in the daytime. I was even atop the Eiffel Tower many, many years ago. But that was in the daytime too. Seeing a city like this at night is like coming from a plane. Except instead of a glance you can stare as long as you want. I highly recommend this for anyone coming to Chicago. Its a nice restaurant/lounge but a lot of tourists and its very pricey, and not because of quality but just because of its location (kind of a Time Square effect I suppose, the applebees on 42n on 50th both double their prices, literally. Why the hell they have two applebees so close I dont know.) I had a Sam Adams at the top of the Hancock for over $8.00, which is the price for a six pack of Sam Adams at the corner store around the block from my apartment.

But anyway it was a crazy place to go and I will try to post pictures if I can get the one my mother took.


------

On a separate topic, I'm reading Ulysses by James Joyce right now. Its a bloody strange book but interesting. Not as riveting as On the Road though, which I finished, I think last week. I'm considering going back to Kerouac after Ulysses but we'll see how I feel after I finish. Anyone who has read this or any Joyce and wants to give me tips, let me know.


God Bless.

No comments: